Many parents worry at the prospect of organising a family ski holiday, especially if the children are too young to hit the slopes themselves. But skiing with children is not only possible, but can be great fun with a little bit of forward thinking. A family’s priority on holiday is making sure that the children are having fun, and with sledging, hot chocolate trips and snowballs, never mind husky dogs, ice caves and climbing walls, children can love their snowy holiday and everything that goes with it.
We’ve built our family skiing packages with you in mind. We hope this information will help you plan the perfect luxury ski holiday for you and your family.
If you have any further questions or queries regarding your family's skiing holiday please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0208 875 1957.
Our family friendly ski resorts...
Choosing the right ski resort for your family holiday can be quite daunting. Whilst you're there to ski, there are plenty of other activities to keep your family entertained. Here are a few ideas of the things you can do in some of our family friendly ski resorts.
Family ski holidays in Val d’Isere
- There's a working farm where children are welcomed into the shed to meet the sheep, pigs, a goat, and geese in addition to the named cows, calves and even a Highland cow
- The funicular train is a popular way to get up the mountain, but deserted on the way down again, so children can sit at the front of the train and pretend they are the driver as they shoot down through the tunnel
- Three years ago a soft play area was built in the sports centre for younger children with slides, ball pits and matting. For older children there is an indoor climbing wall in the same complex.
Family ski holidays in Alpe d'Huez
- Alpe d'Huez regularly appears on lists of best family resorts for both the skiing terrain and the other activities available.
- The massive sports centre has a high ropes course, table tennis and pool tables, in addition to the indoor and outdoor swimming pools where you get free entry with a Visalp lift pass.
- Younger children will love a trip to the teddy bear’s cafe for story time or a hot chocolate. There is occasionally live lounge music for a little bit of dancing.
- The ice caves are sculpted every year into a different world, and can be easily reached via the DMC lift 100m from our chalets.
Family ski holidays in La Plagne
- There are lots of little villages less than 5 minutes away on the bus or bubble, so plenty of places to explore. Or stay closer to home – there is a carousel and sledging area on the snowfront right outside the front door of our chalets!
- For older children it’s an adventure to head across and up to the Bellecote Glacier to visit the ice caves situated high up on the glacier, with a changing theme each season. And maybe stop off in Plagne Bellecote for a ride on the Shetland ponies, or just to stroke them.
Family ski holidays in Meribel
- The Olympic Centre was built to host the ice hockey of the Albertville Olympics in 1992, and now contains a cinema, Ten Pin Bowling, indoor swimming pool and a massive ice rink, so is perfect for poor weather days.
- Take a bubble trip to a greener world away from the snow to Bride le Bains in the valley floor to have a picnic and play in the park.
Family ski holidays in Morzine
- Morzine’s activities are mostly clustered around the centre of town, where the outdoor ice rink and carousel are in the main square, harnessed trampolines are by the Pleney lift and the little train runs in between. You may also be able to catch a game involving the local ice hockey team, the Morzine-Avoriaz Penguins.
Family ski holidays in Les Gets
- Altitude Lodge is perfectly situated for an adventure in the woods right outside the hotel and knee deep in snow.
- A hot chocolate trip is even made more exciting by getting the bubble down into the main town of Les Gets, where there is also an outdoor ice rink geared up for children, and pony rides.
- Children and adults alike can't resist a trip on the little train between the two sides of the resort.
Family ski holidays in St Anton
- St Anton offers a ski kindergarden for children from the age of 2 and half years.
- The traditional village of St. Anton has plenty of activities to keep children entertained off the slopes including ice skating, bowling, climbing wall, a 4.3km natural toboggan run and sports centre with three swimming pools including a specially designed children’s pool.
Family ski holidays in Lech
- The transfer to Lech is only 1 1/2 hrs from Friedrichshafen airport, minimising time on the coach with kids.
- Our nannies run a dinner-time cocoa club to look after the children whilsts adults eat in the dining room.
- The brand new outdoor swimming pool is sure to be a hit with kids.
Some top tips from our Childcare Manager...
Planning your family skiing holiday can be quite a task, but we're here to help;
- Don’t underestimate how much more difficult it is to walk in ski boots, especially for children. Accommodation with a short walking distance to the slopes, or a shuttle service is essential for tired little legs.
- Travelling with children can be stressful at the best of times, so think about a resort with a short transfer time, and a company where you won’t be sitting on the coach waiting for other flights to arrive.
- With small babies, a baby carrier is often easier than a buggy at the airport, leaving your hands free. Check if you can borrow a buggy in resort to save bringing your own through the airport. If you do bring your own don't forget you can take it right to the gate when boarding the plane.
- Young children can need a lot of kit which can make all the difference to your stay. We can provide potties, bed guards and baby monitors to make packing that little bit easier.
- Minimise your packing and pre-order bulky nappies and baby formula. These are expensive or often not available in supermarkets in resort.
- Children’s ski kit is expensive and kids grow out of it quickly, so borrow or share kit with friends from home. They need to be warmer than adults and one piece suits or salopettes with braces will assist in keeping out the cold!
- Cold hands will ruin a child’s day, so bring 2 pairs of gloves as they will get wet at ski school or playing in the snow and may not dry in time for the next trip outside.
- There’s no need to pack too many clothes, just base layers as kids will be happy to run around inside in their thermals or tights. Do remember to bring slippers or indoor shoes for the chalets as the floors can be slippery.
- The sun’s rays are strong and reflect off the snow, so children need sunglasses for being out and about, as well as goggles for skiing (sunglasses can hurt under their helmet). And don’t forget sunglasses for babies too - ideally wraparound so that they can’t be pulled off and lost!
- Family of 4 or more? Purchase a Family lift passes for extra saving (min and max age applies)
- Suncream is expensive in resort, so remember to bring it from home. Children need easily applied sun block and a lip salve with a sun screen. Don’t forget you will need a separate one for you and the children if they are in childcare or have ski school.
- Children get free lift passes under a certain age, so younger children can still come up the mountain to meet you and will love the bubble trip up.
Here's our 'best for...' shortlist
- BEST FOR...activities in resort, short transfers and nursery-slope-side location
- BEST FOR...economical family bunk rooms and the slopes and ski school being directly outside
MORZINE & LES GETS
- BEST FOR...short transfer and lower altitude for young babies
- BEST FOR...Ski school. We have a very good relationship with Oxygene ski school and know the instructors well.
- BEST FOR...short transfer and activities in resort.
VIP SKI holidays with children...
A chalet holiday is perfectly suited to families, allowing children access to communal areas and facilities unknown in hotels. This, combined with our excellent childcare, makes skiing a truly family affair. We ensure you enjoy your time on the piste free from worries, safe in the knowledge that the children are having plenty of fun, and being cared for in a safe and happy environment. If you call us with the make up of your party, including ages and number of children, we will be happy to recommend the family ski chalet that is best suited to you.
Children of all ages are welcome in any of our chalets when a chalet is booked in its entirety.
Children in shared chalets - We accept bookings with children and infants on all dates in our Dedicated Family ski chalets on room by room booking basis (Le Manoir in Alpe d'Huez, The Como Suite in La Plagne & Aspen Lodge Larch Suite in Val d'Isere) and also in our 2 hotels (Altitude Lodge in Les Gets & Hotel Theodul in Lech).
We also accept children in all chalets during school holidays, which include departures on 31 Mar and 7 & 14 April 2019. For the 2019/20 season school holiday dates are 15, 22 & 29 Dec 2019, 9 & 16 Feb and 29 Mar, 5 & 12 Apr 2020.
Any family bookings outside of these dates/chalets will be considered and accepted at our discretion. Click here for more details on our dedicated family chalets.
Children aged 2-12 on return date of travel and sleeping in a normal adult bed receive a discount of £75 on brochure price. If children are occupying a third or fourth bed in a room they will normally be eligible for a discount of up to 50% off the adult price. (Child discount not applicable with group discount)
To ensure your little ones have everything they need, we can provide the following items free of charge upon request: sterilisers, changing mats, potties, bed guards, toilet steps, toilet seats, table booster seats and stair gates (not available for all chalets). All of these items are subject to availability and should be requested before you travel. Children’s cutlery and crockery are available in all chalets.
Our chalet hosts serve high tea for children at around 6pm. We require all children under 12 to take high tea unless you book the whole chalet. If you book the whole chalet and would rather your children eat with you later then please advise us at the time of booking along with any dietary requirements your child may have.
Our children's menus are very adaptable and the chalet host will discuss with you on arrival to tailor meals to your children's liking. Click here for more information.
Travelling with tots...
We charge £125 for infants. This price includes a cot, bed linen and highchair. Breakfast and high tea as per our flexible children’s menu are available to older babies who can manage normal solid foods. We do not provide jars or formula milk, but your chalet host will happily make a fresh puree to your baby’s liking, or powdered formula can be pre-booked.
Flight seats are not included and unfortunately baby seats are not available on our coach transfers. However, baby seats are available on private taxi transfers and an adult taxi supplement applies. Infants must be under 2 years on the return date of travel.
Click here to see our packing for children checklist >>
Sterilisers, nappies, wipes - we've got it covered
To ensure your little ones have everything they need, we can provide the following items free of charge upon request: sterilisers, changing mats, potties, bed guards, toilet steps, toilet seats, table booster seats and stair gates (available at selected chalets). All of these items are subject to availability and should be requested before you travel. Children’s cutlery and crockery are available in all chalets.
We want your family ski holiday to be as hassle free as possible, so shopping for nappies on arrival is best avoided! We have put together a choice of two infant packs which you can pre-order to be delivered to your chalet for your arrival. This also saves you the inconvenience of having to find space in your suitcase for bulky items like nappies. Packs must be booked at least 2 weeks before travel. Chose from:
Mini Pack* - This pack includes your choice of Pampers Baby Dry or Pampers Active Fit nappies (quantity varies on size of nappies from approx. 30 to 46 nappies), Pampers sensitive baby wipes (approx. 50 wipes) and nappy sacs (approx. 100 sacs).
Maxi Pack* - This pack includes items as in the mini pack, plus an 800g pack of powdered formula milk. You can choose from Milupa Aptimal Stages 1, 2 & 3.
|France - Pre-booked price
|France - Price within 2 weeks or in resort
|| £25.52 / €25
||£45.04 / €50
|Austria - Pre-booked or in Resort
|| £22.52 / €25
||£31.53 / €35
*Please note; Alternative products/brands may be supplied subject to availability.